Friday 4 October 2013

Hoka One One STINSON EVO TARMAC

So City Sports actually came through and got us the free pair of Hokas we were promised as a result of Hoka reps not showing up to our run club, and it only took 2 weeks, which is pretty commendable and awesome.

I have now had the opportunity to run in the shoes for about 2.5 weeks, and I thought I would share my thoughts. All-in-all, I thought the shoes were really good, actually surprisingly good, with a couple small caveats. First, as a reference point, I note that so far I have done multiple short runs (5k-10k), one 20 mile run, and one 10k with a 20# pack. All of these runs were road runs, particularly because the STINSON EVO TARMAC's are sold as a road shoe. 

So far the shoes have been pretty enjoyable. While they take a little getting used to, they are surprisingly responsive. Obviously, they have a ton of cushion, which is nice long slow runs, but because they are so light, I have found that they also serve as a good shoe for quicker middle distance workouts. I especially like that that despite how much cushion is underneath you, they don't really feel overly spongy; rather, the shoe provides a nice responsive transition from foot-strike to toe off. I think this is aided by the rockered sole design. I also really like the locking lacing system, which is standard on the shoe and has become a common alternative on many of my running shoes (i.e., via Lock Laces). There are also two elastic bands on the front of the shoe, over the laces, which allow you to tuck the excess lace away so it doesn't flop around. In short, the laces allow you to tighten the shoe around your foot as much as desired to prevent heel slippage and foot movement inside the shoe.  As a side note, the shoes also come with standard laces for those not preferring the lock-lace style system. 

Another thing that I liked about the shoe was the tongue. It is really thin, and almost not noticeable; yet, pulling the laces tight didn't bother the top of my foot, which sometimes happens to me with a barely-there tongue. Plus, the tongue stayed put and didn't cause any uncomfortable rubbing, etc.

Although it could vary by person, for me, they fit true to size. I was able to make them tight enough in mid-foot so my heel stayed put, and yet, I had a good amount of room in the toe-box such that I didn't experience any rubbing, blisters, etc., even on the 20 mile run. 

Finally, I want to note that my run with the 20# pack was especially enjoyable in these shoes, obviously because of the extra cushioning. They really reduced the pounding on my legs and feet that often accompanies road runs with a pack.

Caveats: If I am doing speed work, I will most likely not use these shoes. While they are surprisingly responsive, you can't totally feel the ground as much as I'd like: the shoes are too high off the ground. In addition, despite the extra cushion, I honestly don't think I would use them on anything beyond a completely flat trail. Because they are so high off the ground, I think running in these on any trail that goes up and down, regardless of how technical, could increase the risk of a rolled ankle, ect. I think feeling the ground on such a trail is important, especially at higher speeds. Thus, I need something more minimalistic, which in turn would allow me to be faster and more nimble.

To summarize, I will probably continue to use these on longer road runs, and they will definitely be my new go-to road shoes on flat terrain when running with weight (a pack). Despite the hefty price tag, they are definitely worth checking out if you are interested.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment