Monday 7 October 2013

Reflecting on the past month of training and my October/November programming

I have now prepared my programming for the next two months and, as has been my recent trend, I am continuing to up my weekly running mileage a bit, despite continuing to go to CrossFit four days a week. The new CrossFit programming has really allowed me to simultaneously build in more mileage and still get stronger at the same time. My strength gains have been especially noticeable over the last couple of weeks.

Because I will be running the Stone Mill 50 Miler on November 16, my programming for October/November is really structured around that race. Thus, building on my noticeable gains, I will be WOD'ing four days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday), which will include two days a week of heavy squats. On top of the WODs, I will also be incorporating a lot of increasing weighted Bulgarian split squats (75#), weighted lunges (105#), weighted box step-ups (125#), Russian Twists, slam balls, and wall balls. I will also be doing a decent number of cleans, snatches (provided my shoulder feels alright), and dead-lifts. In addition to all this, I will be running 3 mornings a week before my 7 am WODs, as well as, running a few days a week either during lunch or after work. Moreover, on Tuesday evenings, I will meet with the City Sports Run Club for what is usually about a 5k.

On Thursdays, I will be either doing a long slow run with a heavy pack or doing some short CrossFit Endurance style speed-work at the track. Finally, on most Saturdays, I will be doing some long self-created endurance WODs, which could take anywhere from 2-4 hours and this month seem to involve a lot of running and burpees. And on a few Sundays, I will be doing a good amount of distance rowing (10-15 kms). In the end, the running should equate to about 35-40 miles a week.

Finally, I note that while I haven't usually implemented a very big taper leading into races, for this one, I am going to have a very tame week leading into the race (Saturday - Stretch; Sunday - Easy 10 km row; Monday - Light WOD; Tuesday - Easy 5 km; Wednesday - Easy 5 km row; Thursday & Friday - just stretch and rest; Saturday - RACE). I think, at least I hope, the light week with two full rest days before race will be an ideal balance for my desired result.

Finally, at least for now, I am planning to get to the gym on Sunday after the race to do some very light KB swings and GHD work to speed my recover process. If all goes well, I should be back at the gym by Tuesday for a WOD. I will then close out November with a schedule similar to the above.

So this is the plan. I will see how it goes, and I will report back after I see the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment