Tuesday 2 July 2013

Day 2

Hello everyone, Day 2 is finished, and you are probably reading Day 1 Bog update as I type this. Today was much better in terms of the cramping (at least I didnt collapse across the finish line in full leg cramps today). I was able to push through and finish 22 today, which actually surprised me because I still had to walk a lot. With that said, it was very very very hard: you would not believe how much walking actually needs to be mixed in with the running to get through this thing.
 
I have to say that there is no way anyone could ever imagine how difficult this is without doing it. I really don;t think there is anything like it. Even the elite runners here are saying how difficult it is. I also was told today, from some people that have done all four events, and are back for the Gobi in their 6th race, that the Gobi is the most difficult of the 4. So apparenly I picked the hardest first.
 
Observations of the day: the terrain was worse than yesterday (the rocks/semiboulders are brutal on the ankes and feet and are even difficult to walk through and the long long inclines are devastating on the legs); after the 3rd of stages today I started reflecting and realized that this truly is my "vision quest" as it is soooo difficult (I really want to just finsh to be honest); I have learned a lot about myself after only 2 days of this brutality that most people I think would find to be just too much; all of the competitors are great in that they always ask if you are okay when passing you and offer items from their pack (or water as a korean competitor gave me some water yesterday when I was out) if needed; my pack was, and still is, way to heavy to start this event (many not needed items); I would change my food planning (3Fuel is good, but I need way less of it, and far more gels and bars to get a good kick at times and because I am starving by about hour 4); I am taking pictures, but really not that many; I am really glad I have a full variety of music because the change helps (today, near the end of the day, I listened to some country music and thought about dad); recording the Howard stern episodes was a waste of time because it takes too much effort to listen and it is easier to just listen to music; while I love CrossFit, it has been a huge contribution to my training, and it helps you build a certain level of mental strength, it really does nothing to prepare you for something like this (I thought it would) because this is a completely different level mental strength (and I am only through day 2, the 50 miler still to come after two more days); I am so far happy with my foot taping techniques (I am really I read the book footcare for athletes - highly recommended although the title might be something different) because it is limiting my foot soreness and blisters (no major blisters so far and really just a couple hotspots).
 
Well, tomorrow brings more very difficult terrain as, in stage 2, we will climb 500meters over 1k (ridiculous). However, after tomorrow I will be nearly half way. I hope I can keep it up and make it to the finish.
 
Also, I will note that U Randys message is on point in that I will surely have a life changing experience out here. I already have and there is still so much to come. Wish me luck!!!!
 
Finally, I want to point out that I should have some good pictures of me around camp (ones that phil long would appreciate - hint: I am only in my really short running shorts, compression socks, and sandals). The point is that people really don;t care about too much around here, except surviving, including me.
 
Again, I really appreciate all of your comments; they are really encouraging and I hope you keep them coming. Oh and there should be some pictures of me somewhere because the photographer has gotten some good ones of me along the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment