Tuesday 2 July 2013

Pre-Gobi 2013

After a year of training, I guess I am happy to actually get this thing started. At this point, as I know it is going to be extremely difficult no matter how much I train, I can at least say that I feel ready to attack the Gobi! Here are 25 random thoughts based on my experiences over the last year: (1) My training program has been a lot of fun, and despite playing hockey for 15 of the first 20 years of my life, and doing serious lifting in my late-teens/early 20's, I am definitely currently in the best shape of my life at age 31. (2) Thanks to my Uncle, Randy, who can officially be credited for getting me to go do this race next week. He introduced me up for CrossFit for my b-day over a year ago, and it made me totally re-evaluate my fitness goals. Thus, I committed to this, which at the time seemed very far off. (3) While I did a lot of my own programming, as well, I owe a lot of the training "fun" to my local box (i.e., CrossFit Praxis). (4) My coaches at Praxis, and their great programming, have really contributed to my training experience and development as an athlete. (5) Since I know he will appreciate the shout-out, Pablo Brown (Popi) was integral to my first workout of each day (7 am daily workouts, almost always 5 days a week). I also note that Popi can be credited with the idea of the "elevation training mask," which took my training to a whole different level. See you at 7 am on June 20th! (6) The other coaches at Praxis also each contributed something to my training over the last year, as each helped develop my technique and pushed me passed the point of exhaustion. So thanks to John, Joe, Mike, Carlos, Adam, Derrick, and Tyler. (7) The "exorcist stairs" are f*&^*@# awesome: thanks for finally going with me John. Thanks also for helping me get my first muscle-ups after only 4.5 months of CrossFit'ing. (8) Derrick and Tyler, thanks for pushing me to keep up, beyond exhaustion, in the workouts we did together. (9) CrossFit Endurance has been invaluable in developing my own programming and creating some of my own workouts. (10) I learned that I definitely prefer running on trails to running on streets/sidewalks/roads - the pounding on concrete can be brutal after a while, and boring, especially when wearing a 30# weight vest or pack. (11) To my surprise, I learned that Rock Creek Park actually has quite a few different trails with varying terrain, I was particularly surprised because it is located right in DC. Shenandoah Valley National Park has also been a great place to do trail runs. (12) One of my favorite motivating quotes over the last year: �Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.� ~Lance Armstrong. I found the quote well before the Oprah interview. (13) I can't wait to have a beer and/or a scotch (or rice wine since I will be in China) after 5.5 months of basically NO alcohol: I admit that I had 2 nights where I had a couple drinks for Steve's passing a couple weeks ago! (14) At the same time, I am kind of scared to think of what I will do with my time after this event is over. I suspect, however, my training will continue into my next challenge, whatever it might be. Another run? More focus on CrossFit? After missing it 2 years in a row at Praxis, maybe I can try doing "Murph" next year. We will have to see. (15) I work for the best law firm in the world (GDLSK LLP) to be able to train as I have and to head out on this 3 week "Odyssey" (as one Partner called it) to China. (16) It seems like preparing and testing all of the equipment, food, etc., for an event like this has taken almost as much time as my training. (17) After getting a blood test in January and being told that I had high blood sugar, I switched to hybrid Paleo/block-oriented diet. I should have done this sooner, as my energy levels and gains went up after only about 2.5 weeks. (18) As a result of a switch to this diet, my appetite also spiked as I cut out almost all processed carbs. (19) I eat a lot during a typical day; while I am taking probably more food than the average person with me during the race, I hope it will be enough. (20) 3Fuel, by CrossFit Endurance founder Brian Mackenzie, which does not give the traditional sugar spike of an energy gel/chew, is awesome. This has served as a great replacement for , and I would say superior product to, traditional energy gels/chews during my training, and I think/hope it will stand up to the challenge during the event. (21) Voodoo Bands and Lacrosse Balls are awesome. Compression gear, which I knew nothing about last year, is also pretty amazing. (22) My wife, Vanessa, has been amazingly understanding in my need to test, change, test, and change again my equipment (this was not a cheap undertaking). (23) Thanks to my family and friends for all of the final motivational words...they have been really helpful! (24) Lastly, I note that I am participating in this race in honor of my Step-dad Steve, whom I dedicated my participation in the race to last September, and whom, unfortunately, passed away on May 7, 2013. Hopefully, this will add additional motivation for me to get to the finish line. (25) After a year, it's definitely go time!!! "In Training, you listen to your body. In competition you tell your body to shut up." ~Rich Froning Friends and Family, please send me messages during the race so I have something to look forward to each day! See you in the Gobi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment