Tuesday 2 July 2013

Final Thoughts on Gobi 2013

Final Thoughts on the Gobi March 2013 (sorry in advance for the length):

Now that I am back in the U.S., and I have had some time to reflect on the race, I wanted to make a final post based on my experiences and what I learned for future events. I’ll start by saying that even though I never really hit a point where I didn’t think I would finish, the race really was as difficult as I made it sound in the blog posts. The elevation climbs and the terrain were extremely difficult to navigate, and the weather was really just brutal at times (temperature – hot and cold – and precipitation). I think everyone that participated would say the same thing about the difficulty of these and other aspects of the race. Thus, I really did get to test my limits at times, and knowing that I can get through it, I really want to push even harder next time.

With all that said, the scenery was really awesome at this event. We couldn’t have asked for a better race setting. And it was amazing to have the local people cheering you on as you passed. One memorable moment was when I was ascending the mountain on the long day (the ridiculous elevation gain over 20km) and no one was around: I passed a few old men/women sitting in front of the their hut and one of the men stood up and came up to me as I passed because he wanted to shake my hand. He grasped my hand with both of his, smiled, and shook vigorously as if to welcome me to his country. It was very inspiring, and I will never forget it. There were other stories of competitors being asked to sign school children’s arms as they passed (Vanessa informed me of this).

Speaking of Vanessa, even though I didn’t see her that much, it was great to have her there. She really pushed me at check points at times when I was feeling tired. I also think she really enjoyed the entire experience as well, from the scenery, to the people, and even work she was able to do to help the competitors. It was a great experience all-around.
Next, I need to say that my fellow competitors are amazing people that come from all walks of life. I made some really great friends that I look forward to meeting up with at/for future events, maybe even as soon as the end of July.

Before briefly analyzing my equipment, training, and preparation, I want to point out for those that know I dedicated the race to Steve that he will now forever be a part of Syram Lake in China, one of the most beautiful locations I have ever been and where the race concluded and, in the past, where Genghis Khan took his final footsteps. I left a part of him at the lake…

So starting tomorrow, the training will continue for my next big events. Maybe Grand-to-Grand (Grand Canyon)?, Atacama?, and/or even the MDS?, with some other ultras, preferably on trails, along the way (already found a 50-miler in VA for beginning of August). I can’t wait for the next one; I am officially addicted!

No comments:

Post a Comment